This page is here to provide you with additional material for your
consideration. This may be material to consider for inclusion
in the Project or material to consider for it's own sake.
Consider a Dog's Tale
This is just a little something to change the pace a little bit and have
some fun. I would like you to tell me what you think about this.
A Dogs Tale
- This is a story that's stranger than true. It begins with me working on a customer's truck one day. I was removing and patching a flat tire. I would then turn to tighten up some loose nuts and bolts on the suspension, and I was to check the level of the gear oil.
- I smashed my fingers, of course, taking the tire off the rim. You'd think I didn't feel like I was doing something constructive unless I was smashing my fingers or cracking my head on something. Such is the lot of a mechanic I suppose. A mechanic who, luckily, has a hard head.
- Anyway, I'm off to wash my wounds and put bandages on the messy parts. So, I clean 'em up and head back out to finish the job, and low and behold; this little pup, whom I constantly ragged on for being so useful, so handy to have around, what with her working so hard to hold down the nearest available pillow; because, of course, there is the constant danger that they would float away when left unattended; this little girl had actually patched the tire, remounted it on the rim and was putting the tire back on the truck. I couldn't believe my eyes, although, I suppose I shouldn't have been surprised. We never lost a single pillow on her watch.
- I ran and got the camera so that I could document this phenomenal example of man's best friend, demonstrating its readiness to partner with us, to join with us, working to make our tasks their own; and, they do try so hard.
- After replacing the tire on the truck she busied herself tightening up the suspension on the rear end. I snapped some quick pictures, hanging back so as to be non-intrusive, so she wouldn't notice I was back. As she was finishing up she became aware that I was hanging out, watching her.
- She turned and shot that self-satisfied look at me, the one she gets when she knows she's pulled off one of those amazingly remarkable; and, absolutely inexplicable feats of unexpected skills. Of course, also, I knew, that she knew, that I owed her. So, I'll be digging out the ribs. It's off to the beach for us. She's earned it.